Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gee Cross Well Dressing 2008


Today was the Well Dressing Ceremony at Gee Cross, Hyde, Cheshire. The first picture is of Booths Well which this year was decorated by members of the W.I. to celebrate 300 years of Hyde Chapel.

At 2pm the Adamson Band led a procession up Joel Lane to Arnold Hill Well, dressed by children from Holy Trinity School. (no photo)


They returned down Joel Lane to Slateacre Well, which was dresseed by children from Dowson Primary School.


Next they visited Baron Road to the display by 3rd Gee Cross Scout Group.


Then to the Village Green Well, dressed by the Guides, Brownies and Rainbows of Holy Trinity and Hyde Chapel.


The last stop was in the grounds of Hyde Chapel by the display created by pupils of Alder Community High School.

At each site there was a blessing, followed a verse and chorus of Onward Christian Soldiers. Afterwards there was a short service, entertainment and light refreshments in the chapel.

More about the history of the ceremony can be found on the Tameside LH Forum website. You also see my photographs of the 2006 Well Dressing on my own website. One special photo of the band Reflection in Silver is on my photoblog and I'll be publishing some additional photographs later in the week, here and on Hyde Daily Photo.

I have now posted a short video of the band leading the parade up Joel Lane.

3 comments:

  1. I love all of these "village life activities" - it saddens me when they die out over time so it's great to see the well dressing ceremony is being supported and encouraged in schools.

    All involved are to be congratulated, and the pics were nice too!!

    Great post.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Well Dressing traditions but have never witnessed it. Thanks for showing me what it's all about.
    You are right, water is a valuable commodity and we should respect it. Where would we be without it????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those in the know predict that future conflicts in the Mid-East and elsewhere increasingly will be fought over water. So that's where we'd be without it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete