Saturday, August 02, 2014

Goats at West Shore, Llandudno


These photographs (© Gerald England - click for larger versions) were taken in April 2005. I've just rediscovered them so thought it was time to share.

The Great Orme in Llandudno is home to around a hundred feral Kashmiri goats.

A trip of goats is here seen heading for the West Shore, led by an unusually black specimen (all the others I've seen were white).


A black goat persued by a white goat is using the steps over the sea wall to get onto the West Shore. In the background beyond the breakwater is Penmaenbach Head.


The collective noun for a group of goats is "trip". These have tripped down off the Great Orme to gather and graze by the West Shore breakwater.


An extremely interesting account of the Great Orme Goats can be found at http://www.llandudno.com/goats.html.

A contribution to
Scenic Weekends;
Saturday Critters;
Camera Critters.

15 comments:

  1. I like how the goat used the stairs! :) Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawn mowers on four legs. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems odd to be seeing the goats running near the street and beach. Great shots! Thank you for linking up to my critter party.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how although the goats are feral they seem to feel quite comfortable among man-made objects, even stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating sight. I don't know that I have ever heard of wild goats enjoying a foreshore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have ever seen goats at the seaside but these are great shots of them. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo of the black goat climbing over the sea wall with the white goat behind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of all the goats we sea on the rural side of Aruba! Never knew a group was called a trip!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. They seem to have the run of the place. Not sure I have ever seen a black one before. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's great! I've seen them on the Great Orme before but never on the breach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I've heard of feral cats but not goats. Are they a problem for people? When I was a teacher, we had a goat in a mini-farm for the children (I was going to say kids but thought that might be confusing). It would butt them on the way to lunch and scared them a bit. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great post, Gerald. What amazing creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was most interesting Gerald, quite intriguing.
    I can't tell you how many times I've driven past the Great Orme yet haven't noticed any goats. I am rather fond of goats as my sister used to keep them, she had an enormous Billy called, would you believe, William ? She also had a few nannies to keep William in order! I remember one of the kids was called Bianca. She used to provide goats milk for premature babies at the local hospital, also a local farm made cheese with any surplus milk.

    best Wishes, Di.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of feral goats either...I love the last shot that shows the pretty red-roofed houses in the background.

    ReplyDelete